Submitted by Richard Smith,
President Branch 202 Lion’s Head
On behalf of the membership of Branch 202 Lion’s Head, I would like to wish everyone a very Happy and Safe New Year.
In December of last year Branch 202 received $7,471.00 of funding from the Federal Government under the Veteran’s Organization Emergency Support Funding. The amount of funding was based on 7/12 of last year’s operating statement in the areas of insurance, utilities, administration, printing and communication costs. There were other expense areas like travel, wages and benefits that did not apply to our branch. The 7/12 figure was arrived at by Dominion Command based upon branch expenses from March to September, 2020.
On January 11, MP Alex Ruff, Constituency Assistant Cameron Bruce, Branch presidents in Zones C-3 and C-4 (including me) who had received funding, and the Commanders of those zones held a virtual meeting in which all of us were given an opportunity to thank MP Ruff for his support in getting the branches this funding, as well as to the federal government for providing the funding.
Bruce Grey Seniors’ Centre Without Walls
Written by Sharron Colter
Wishing everyone a happy healthy 2021 as we work together to stay safe and stay well during the pandemic. I have described the Seniors’ Centre Without Walls as a program open to all residents in Bruce Grey and on the Northern Bruce and South Bruce Peninsula.
The “Fun Seated Fitness” by Carolyn Shannon from Niagara Falls is available either by phone or by zoom video, sponsored by the Lion’s Head Legion Branch 202 and the NBP Community Support Advisory and Action Committee, NBPCSAAC.
Why has this program been introduced to all residents?
The reasons for and benefits of the SCWWs’ Program may be:
1. To invite your participation that may present a lower risk of mortality, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, several cancers, anxiety, depression, dementia, weight gain, adverse blood lipid profile, falls and fall-related injuries. (Research from Queens University, the Public Health Agency of Canada and Participaction.)
2. Sessions to Improve bone health, cognition, quality of life and physical function. (More information available at https://csep.ca/guidelines)
3. “If it is to be it is up to me!” (Rosalee Wysocki) We are responsible for our own wellbeing. Participate to help keep yourself safe, connected and well. Avoid feeling the winter blues, sad, lonely and alone.
4. Wellness is a state of mind not necessarily an absence of illness. ( Dr. Harpur) Participate and improve your sense of wellbeing.
5. The brain is a muscle. Let’s exercise it with laughter, deep breathing, moving, talking, trivia games, thinking, questioning and accepting.
Your tax dollars support this micro grant for Bruce Grey Seniors’ Centre Without Walls BGSCWWs through the Ontario Ministry of Seniors and Accessibility and the Older Adults Centres Associations of Ontario, OACAO. The Northern Bruce Peninsula Community Support Advisory Action Committee, NBPCSAAC has partnered with the Bruce Grey United Way to bring this program to the Northern Bruce Peninsula.
Phone in is toll free. Dial 1-877-806-9883. Listen for the prompt. Input the passcode 555617# on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 1:00 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Contact Sharron Colter at 519-793-3473 or [email protected] in you have any questions.